North Carolina Yam Festival Headquarters Days and Hours of Operation
Friday, October 15, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Monday, October 18 – Friday, October 22, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Yam Fest Saturday, October 23, 8:00 – 5:00 p.m.
The Tabor City Public Library, located at 101 East Fifth Street, is the official NC Yam Festival Headquarters. They may assist you with Information, T-shirts, Souvenirs, Tickets, Parade & Vendor Applications, and more. Be sure to pick up a Free Yam Festival Coloring Book for your youngsters.
Pre-Festival Events in May & June
Monday, May 24
- Spring Planting Day School-aged children and teens learned how to plant sweet potato slips, how to care for the plants as their sweet potatoes grow, and how to harvest their crop. This event was held at the Yam Festival Office located at 103-D East Fifth Street.
Friday, June 25
- Feed the Farmer Drop-In Appreciation Lunch The North Carolina Yam Festival is an agricultural-based festival that exists because of the hard work and dedication of our humble farmers. This event was located at Mama’s Restaurant, 101 Hickman Road.
Festival Events & Activities
Wednesday, September 29
- Information Meeting for NC Yam Festival Pageant Contestants NC Yam Festival Office, 103-D East fifth Street, 5:30 -7:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 30
- NC Yam Festival Pageant Application Deadline
Saturday, October 10
- Entry deadline for the Poetry Contest Open to grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8, High School Each work must be original and work may only be submitted by a teacher. All contest entrants must be a student in Columbus County. Any length of poem will be accepted. For more information, please call Committee Chair, Kelly Jones at 910-642-5168 extension 24007.
Friday, October 15
- Accepting Entries for the Sweet Potato Quality Contest Youth & Adult Entries may be dropped off at the Tabor City Public Library, 101 East Fifth Street from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 16
- North Carolina Yam Festival Scholarship Pageant South Columbus High School, 40 Stallion Drive, Tabor City Baby Miss – Little Miss divisions, Pageant begins at 11:00 a.m. Junior Miss – Queen divisions, Pageant begins at 5:00 p.m. Admission Fee is $10 (includes program) or $15 for a wristband to enter both pageants (also includes program). All audience members must wear a mask. All pageant contestants and participants must wear a mask or a clear faceshield.
Monday, October 18
- Sweet Potato Quality Contest Location is the Tabor City Public Library, 101 East Fifth Street. Youth & Adult Entries will be accepted until 8:30 a.m. Judging begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. Winners will be announced as soon as possible via Facebook.
- Deadline to enter the Tiger Tater Hat Decorating Contest For more information, please call 910-377-3248.
- Deadline to Enter Business & Residential Decorating Contest Everyone is encouraged to decorate. The festival theme for 2021 is “A Blast from the Past” as this is the Golden Anniversary Year. Take it back to our roots and put some nostalgia into the decorations. 50 Years of Celebrating our sweet potatoes! To enter, please call 910-377-3248 by 4 p.m. Judging will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, October 19.
- Poetry Contest Winners will be Announced Via our NC Yam Festival Facebook page
Tuesday, October 19
- Sweet Potato Food Cook Off Deadline to enter is from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. All entries need to be dropped off at The Ritz Center located at 213 Hickman Road, Tabor City, NC 28463. Closed Judging session will take place from 11:00 a.m. -12:00 noon. Entries will be open to public viewing from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m.
- Yam Festival Workers’ Appreciation Breakfast Hosted by Brunswick Electric Membership Corporation (by invitation only)
- Paint a Yam Man Class Instructor is LuAnn Milligan Pickell Must reserve your space by calling the Yam Festival office at 910-377-3248. Cost is $25 per person and will include everything you need to paint your very own Yam Festival “Yam Man”! Location is the Ritz Center, 213 Hickman Road, from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 20
- Art/Photography/Sweet Potato Crafts Registration Student and Adult Entries will be accepted at the Tabor City Baptist Church Fellowship Hall. Entries will be judged. For more information regarding Student entries, please contact Kelly Jones at 910-642-5168 extension 24007. For more information regarding Adult entries, please contact LuAnn Milligan Pickell at 910-234-2593. Important Notice: Masks are required while bringing an entry to or visiting the Art Show.
Thursday, October 21
- Taste of Tabor at Sunnyfield Equestrian Farm Location: 1861 Ten Mile Road, Tabor City Fun-filled evening with great food, The Kevin Nichols Band, and fellowship. A photo opportunity will be available. Tickets are only $25 for adults and $10 for ages ten and under. For ticket locations, please call the Yam Festival office at 910-377-3248.
Friday, October 22
- Art/Photography/Sweet Potato Crafts Show Tabor City Baptist Church Fellowship Hall from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Important Notice: Masks required.
- Street Dance Located at the Town Gazebo in the parking lot of Tabor City Public Library, 101 East Fifth Street. Live DJ, 7:00 p.m – 9:00 p.m. Bring a lawn chair.
The BIG YAM DAY!
Saturday, October 23
- Information, Free Yam Fest Coloring Books, T-shirts, Souvenirs, etc. NC Yam Festival Headquarters & Outdoor Booth Tabor City Public Library (parking lot) located at 101 East Fifth Street. 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Free Admission.
- Community Blood Drive with The Blood Connection Location will be near the Tabor City Public Library parking lot at 101 East Fifth Street. 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Walks-ins welcome. $20 egift card to all who donate.
- Car, Truck, Bike Show (Hosted by MPR Car Club) Located on Live Oak Street. Registration begins at 8:30, Show 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. For information on how to enter, please call Committee Chair Tiger Lovette at 843-333-0947.
- Arts, Crafts, Food Vendors and more Downtown on Main Street and Hickman Road, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Free admission.
- Yam Row Located on Hickman Road in front of United Bank
- Yam Festival Parade Featuring more than 100 units consisting of high school bands, clowns, area beauty queens, fire trucks and other emergency vehicles, floats, and so much more! Begins at 10:00 a.m. originating at 7th and Main Streets, down Main Street, left onto Green Sea Road, then right onto Hickman Road, left onto Bell Street, then left onto Pireway Road, left onto 5th Street, and right onto Wall Street.
- Sweet Potato Give Away Begins after the parade in theparking lot of Tabor City Public Library located at 101 East Fifth Street.
- Live Entertainment on the Fred E. Lay Stage (aka Todd House Wedding & Event Center Stage) Entertainment begins following the parade and will continue until 5:00 p.m. Expect to enjoy lots of locals as they sing and dance their way into your hearts. Fun will be had by all.
- Kids Zone (No fees) Located on Live Oak Street. Inflatables, Exhibits, Educational Outreach, Face Painting, and Fun! Wearing of Masks by the children STRONGLY ENCOURAGED while in the Bounce Houses.
- Gospel Explosion Located on Hickman Road. Will begin after the parade. Will feature Gospel, Southern Gospel, Praise Teams and more. For additional information, please call Committee Chair Tervon Strickland at 910-234-0752.
- Art/Photography/Sweet Potato Crafts Show Adult & Youth Divisions, Tabor City Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, 11:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Important Notice: Masks required.
- Tater Days Historial Self-Guided Walking Tour Pick up guide at the Tabor City Public Library
- Basic Life Support Competition (Hosted by Tabor City EMS) Tabor City Rescue Squad located on the corner of East Fifth and Jones Streets, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Stallion Classic (Hosted by South Columbus High School) Located at South Columbus High School on the Stallion Football Field. Begins at 1:00 p.m. Awards ceremony to follow. Admission fee to be announced.
- Tabor’s Got Talent Located at the Fred E. Lay Stage across from the Todd House Wedding & Event Center. Begins at 3:00 p.m. This is a judged event. For information on how to enter, please contact committee Chair Erin Mincey by email at email@example.com.
- Tabor City High School Alumni Reunion (ALL VIRTUAL) The TC Alumni Reunion will take place virtually again this year. For additional information, please contact Willa Sarvis Bailey at 252-413-8515. (Please contact your Class representative regarding plans for any individual Class Reunions. For example, the Class of 1953 called to say they will not hold their reunion this year.)
NC Yam Festival President
103-D East Fifth Street
Tabor City, N. C. 28463
910-377-3248 * 843-504-5306
NC Yam Festival Manager / Secretary
103-D East Fifth Street
Tabor City, N. C. 28463
910-377-3248 * 910-840-0292
NORTH CAROLINA YAM FESTIVAL
TRADITIONALLY HELD THE
4TH SATURDAY IN OCTOBER
2 at Tabor City Library
2 in Kid Zone Area
4 beside old Town Hall on 4th Street
SPECIAL THANKS TO
FOR THE YAM FEST COLORING BOOKS
AND FOR ALL OTHER PRINTING